Saturday 29 September 2018

Chamonix - good for the soul!

It's been a few months since I've updated my blog, and seeing friends' photos from Chamonix this past week has prompted me to write a wee bit about our last trip out there.  As we prepare for the next one...

Last year, John and I headed out a few days before UTMB week and we spent 3 days fastpacking on the first section of the UTMB route.  We left our suitcases for the following week with the lovely Bob and Gail Allison and after lunch/beer with them, Karen and George, we headed off on the bus to Courmayeur and our first overnight stop.  Early start, hills aplenty and views to die for, another fab overnight stop in Arnouva and repeat.  By the end of the third day in Champex Lac I knew I couldn't manage a 4th as I was very tired (annoyingly so - but the reason became clear when I got home!) We got the train from Martigny to Chamonix and what a fabulous journey that was!  Way up high then down through awesome gorges and forests etc.  We picked our cases up and checked into our apartment soon to be followed by Amanda and Julie.  A fabulous race week ensued.  Amanda successfully conquered CCC and Julie conquered all sorts of fears to hike up to Le Lac Blanc amongs other places!

So to this summer... John was successful in getting a place in TDS so we decided that we would head out and do another bit of the TMB route to give him some climbing/hiking practice and us both a well earned break.  By the time we left I had also got a race place in the new 'baby' race, the MCC so this gave me a good feel for my race route too.  Again we had lots of climbing, amazing views and spectacular weather, we discovered that it was Marathon de Mont Blanc and it's associated races that week, so John did the VK and I did a 10km race.  Our friend Gayle was doing the 90km and we managed to get out and about and see her on the route!
It's only 4.5weeks til we go back again and we can't wait!  When my lottery ticket comes in I think I will be looking for a wee apartment/retiral home out there...

No comments :

Post a Comment